Friday 9 September 2011

Summer Assignment - Second Drawing

And here is my second completed offering.  I had always intended to face my demons and include a 'proper' hand drawn sketch for my assignment submission; and this was probably the most successful of the summer's efforts - a line of ubiquitous beach huts at Fisherman's Walk, Bournemouth (where we hired this year's beach hut).  As a single item I felt it was a little 'lacking' and accidentally stumbled upon the idea of juxtaposing my sketch and the many photos I took in the past few weeks with Niall and Ellis of the Lions scattered around the neighbourhood http://www.prideinbournemouth.com/
Using Photoshop I extracted squared samples of the lion's patterns and created a simple, paper patchwork.  I manipulated my original sketch by tracing it and removed all the unnecessary scribbles, simplified the lines and embellished the forms and finally enlarged it on the photocopier, and printed onto tissue paper.  The tissue was overlaid onto the lion patchwork to create the final effect;  the tissue reduced and softened the impact of the patches and created a  specific and historical point in time background for the beach huts.

No comments:

Post a Comment