Sunday 14 October 2012

Innovation for Textiles Practice

Back at Uni and two weeks into the first assignment which is a quick four week project entitled Geometrics - Stripe, Circle, Square, Spot and Line.  The emphasis of the module is 3D items made from innovative materials; we have been tasked to become an alchemist and surface inventor of textiles!  I'm still concentrating on my summer inspiration in the main, incorporating images and ideas from my plug chain and shower head - using the repeating circle shapes and endeavouring to bring these into some type of 3D spherical design.  In my first year I did actually experiment quite a bit with 3D shapes in both my knitting and fabric manipulation, as well as using unusual and innovative materials such as metal split rings and curtain rings; so I really need to up my games even further for this assignment!.  I've kicked off looking at how is it possible to create 3D spheres using paper and card as my basic material, searching the Internet there are loads of instructions on how to make paper spherical shapes (most seem to be targeted at the American decoration and craft market) and not many of them appear to have been transformed into fabrics.  These are sample of my paper experiments:
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment